Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Better Breakfast

This morning before work I woke up and ran 3 miles with my Golden Retriever Doc. 3 miles is about all I have time for from when the sun comes up to the time I need to get ready for work. But 3 miles is all I need to start off my day right, that and one delicious breakfast. For the last 6 months I have taking a slim fast meal bar to work for breakfast. While it is only 200 calories, it has 32g of carbohydrates and 13g of sugar. It's basically like eating a candy bar for breakfast. This year I am trying to wake up earlier so I can cook my own breakfast, or make my breakfast ahead of time with foods like muffins. Not to be confused with the muffin-top that has been slowly creeping over my jeans since eating my candy bar/ slim fast bar. This morning I made an egg-in-the-hole. I used 100% whole wheat bread and one egg. Normally I would use egg whites, but I was running low on eggs and decided after my run one whole egg wouldn't hurt. I cut the center out of the bread with a circle I use for cake decorating, you can also use a biscuit cutter. Some people like to cook the leftover center, I usually just toss it. This can save about 40 calories of whole wheat bread that is usually 90 calories. Just put the bread onto an omelet pan that has been sprayed. Crack the egg into the middle of the circle. Depending on how you like your eggs will depend on how long you keep each side cooking. I like mine a little runny so I flip it after about a minute. Flip the toast and the egg together. Cook on both sides and serve up with some bananas and strawberries for an after workout refuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment