Friday, May 3, 2013

13.1 check!!

We did it!! My Best Friend E and I completed our second half marthon.  It was the OKC memorial marathon.  The weather was cooperative, the crowd was enthusiastic, and it was such a great day to be had. We started off in November only able to run 3 miles.  We would try to run every Tuesday, sometimes we were not able to run all week, but we kept going and kept progressing and I am so glad we did!  The night before the race E, my brother, and I carb loaded at chili's with cajun chicken pasta.  My brother wasn't running but he was sympathy carb loading with us I suppose.  After we finished our dinner we went to Wal Mart to get protein bars for the next morning and my brother decided he needed a cape.  So we went to the fabric section and measured out how much fabric was needed to make a cape.  We decided it was probably the biggest cape that lady had cut out.  Besides Super Man, I dont think there is much need for an adult cape..Am I right?  We grabbed some posters and markers and headed home to make our signs.  My husband Jeremy's older brother is in a band called Atteberry Station and they were doing a televised segment in Texas that night.  So Jeremy got home about 1 a.m. so he would not miss my race.  So we had a pretty fun and rare slumber party at our house that night.  The race started at 6:30 am in downtown Oklahoma City.  The weather was so nice and as we passed the group of firefighters holding the American Flag, chills filled my arms.  We made it to mile four and there we found our fan club that consisted of 9 people holding their signs and jumping up and down cheering us on.  They were there at mile nine and the finished line as well.  The amount of people that were at this race cheering on loved ones and strangers was overwhelming and so touching.  There were funny signs and touching signs like "Run for all of those who can't."  E and I wore our red socks in honor of those affected by the Boston Bombing and it was times like that, that make you go harder. As we turned the last stretch there are hundreds of people jumping up and down as people race to the finish line and it really gets your adrenaline going.  After we finished and I realized I wasn't going to throw up, we both got huge smiles on our faces because it is such a great feeling of accomplishment.  I highly recommend anyone to run a half.  LIke I said we trained for six months, it is not easy. But the feeling of accomplishment you feel for the rest of the day, as well as the next few days because your muscles keep reminding you, is soo rewarding.  Here are a few pictures from the race.  Sorry for the Instagram shots, but since I did not take pictures I had to steal from those who did.
This first picture is my husband on the right, and my brother (horse head and cape on) on the left.  My brother was a huge hit with his horse head.   As we were walking back to the car 3 people stopped us to take pictures with him. He even said two girls stopped in the middle of the race to take his picture.

This is E and I in front of the Oklahoma City Memorial.


J and Mikey with their signs
This was taken the night before our race.  During the race the next day, they thought their signs were to long for runners to read so they turned them over to write on them, and so came the  "thats what she said" jokes.


This is right after we finished and yes we did feel like we had just won gold at the olympics!!

No comments:

Post a Comment