Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Edible Cowboy Hat

I made a couple of cakes for a western themed birthday party.  The cake was a two tiered, it was a 10 inch circle for the bottom and an 8 inch circle for the middle tier.  If you make cakes then I'm sure you can relate, customers ALWAYS worry they wont have enough, you tell them how much a certain size cake will feed and I swear they think I am lying to them.  Since I knew a two tiered cake would already be plenty, I wanted to change up the top tier by using rice krispy treats for the top cowboy hat tier.


I started by using a one quart size bowl.  Make sure you spread enough crisco around so that the rice krispies will slide out easily.  Next, pour the already made rice krispy treats (jsut follow the instructions, mine was on my box.  It's just rice krispys, 1 bag of marshmellows, and butter)into the bowl and make sure it is nice and packed down.
After taking the Rice Krispys out of the bowl, take your small rolling pin and make an indention in the middle to give it a nice hat effect.

Next, cover the Rice Krispys in your choice of colored fondant, and cut around the edges with a pizza cutter.

Here I just rolled out some fondant and cut around it for the hat base.

To give it a curve I place rolled up paper towels on the inside.  Then to hold that up I used two of the same sized sprinkle cans.  You can use whatever you have laying around. You can see a few creases I had at the brim, but all you have to do is run your finger acrossed it to get those out.


To make the brim come up I used two small dowel rods.  I left it this way for about 24 hours.  It most likely does not take this long to dry but I am a "better safe than sorry" kinda gal.
After it had dried I used a cake lift to get it to my top tier then just twisted two pieces of fondant to give the hat a rope accent. and BOOM done and done!

No comments:

Post a Comment